|Dr. Md. Shafiqul Islam|
Department of Pathology and Parasitology
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Md Shafiqul Islam has been working as an Associate Professor of Pathology at Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU) since 2021. He completed a DVM degree and an MS degree in Veterinary Pathology from Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU), Chattogram, Bangladesh. He also served as an assistant professor at the Department of Pathology and Parasitology, CVASU from 2015 to 2020 and as a lecturer from 2013 to 2015. He is a registered member of the Bangladesh Veterinary Council.
Mr. Shafiq also completed Ph.D. in veterinary medicine from Kagoshima University, Japan.
Neurogenetics, Inherited disease, Immunopathology, Tumor Biology, Clinical and molecular pathology, Zoo and wild animal pathology, Immunotherapies
|•||Associate Professor in Pathology and Parasitology, Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from Jan. 1, 2021 to Present|
|•||Assistant Professor in Pathology and parasitology, Chattogram Veterinary And Animal Sciences University from March 6, 2015 to Dec. 31, 2020|
|•||Lecturer in Pathology and Parasitology, Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from Jan. 1, 2013 to March 5, 2015|
|•||Co-ordinator in Transport pool, Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from Feb. 27, 2023 to Present|
|•||Assistant hall provost in Bir Muktijoddah M A Hannan hall, Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from April 1, 2016 to Sept. 1, 2017|
|Course Name||Course Code||Department|
|Clinical Pathology and Necropsy||CPN-401||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
|General Pathology||GPT-201||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
|General pathology-II and Nutritional Pathology||GNP-202||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
|Pathology of Infectious Diseases||PID-302||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
|Systemic Pathology||SPT-301||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
|Course Name||Course Code||Department|
|Clinical Pathology||CPT-602||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
|Histopathology||HSP-602||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
|Metabolic Diseases||MTD-601||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
|Molecular Pathology||MPA-602||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
|Necropsy||NCP-601||Department of Pathology and Parasitology|
2022 PhD in Veterinary Science, Kagoshima University, Japan
2014 Master of Science in Pathology, Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU), Bangladesh
CGPA: 4.0 out of 4.0 (1st place)
2012 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU), Bangladesh
CGPA: 3.82 out of 4.0 (second place)
2005 Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), University Laboratory College, Dhaka University, Bangladesh
CGPA: 4.50 (Out of 5.0)
2003 Secondary School Certificate (SSC), Armanitola Government High School Dhaka, Bangladesh
CGPA: 4.56 (Out of 5.0 without an optional subject)
1. 'Intensive hands-on training on NGS sequencing by Illumina i-seq 100 platform', held at the laboratory of clinical pathology, Kagoshima University from 24-25th December 2019. Organized by the laboratory of clinical pathology, joint faculty of veterinary medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan.
2. Training on "Biosafety and Biosecurity in Laboratory Diagnosis and Research" 26-27 September 2016, organized by PRTC, CVASU in collaboration with Icddrb, Bangladesh
2. Short course on “Clinicopathological Techniques in Disease Diagnosis” 07-17 June 2015 Organized by Centralized clinical laboratory, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai, India
3. Training on Genomic, Proteomic, and Networks in Biology Analyses', held on 23-24 April 2015, Organized by Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Bangladesh.
4. Training Workshop on Molecular Techniques used in Animal Disease Diagnoses', held on 13-14 May 2015, Organized by Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU).
5. Hands-on training workshop on Genomic, Proteomics, Networks in Biology Analyses', held on 12-13 March 2014, Organized by Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU), Bangladesh in collaboration with University of Science and Technology (USTC).
6. Training on Genomics and Bioinformatics Tools used in Computational Biology, 29-30 May 2013, Organized by Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU), Bangladesh.
7. International Training Workshop on Bioinformatics and computational biology in South Asian perspectives, 25 September 2012, Organized by CVASU, CU, and USTC, Bangladesh.
8. International Training Workshop on Molecular Biology and their applications, 22-27 September 2012, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU), Bangladesh
9. "Internship Training Program" at Veterinary College and Research Institute, Namakkal, from 16.09.2011 to 30.09.2011, Under Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, India.
10. "Internship Training Program" at Department of Clinics, Madras Veterinary College from 01.10.2011 to 16.10.2011, Under Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, India.
1. Gold Medal Award for the best academic performance in MS in Pathology, session 2013-2014, CVASU, Bangladesh
2. Monnukagakusho Scholarship (MEXT-2018; Ministry of education and science in JAPAN) to pursue PhD study in Kagoshima University, Japan (October 2018-March, 2022) (Presently continuing)
1. Monitoring and surveillance of duck diseases in Hakaluki and Tanguar haor and development of suitable vaccination models and other preventive strategies. Funded by National Agricultural Technology Program Phase-II Project, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (BARC) for 2017-2018 (Principal investigator before the study leave)
2. Establishment of FNAC and Immunohistochemistry techniques at the Department of Pathology and Parasitology CVASU. Funded by higher education and research division, CVASU for 2015-2016. Role in the project: Principal- investigator.
3. Higher Education and Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) Team member: World Bank-sponsored UGC–HEQEP Sub-Project (CP: 3220) Bangladesh for ‘Establishment of a brand new clinical pathology laboratory in Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU)’. Implementation period: 2014-2017 (Co-investigator)
4. Project funded by higher studies and Research, CVASU (For MS research) on Molecular investigation of Cryptosporidium spp from stray and pet dog from Chittagong Metropolitan Area.
5. Project funded by University Grants Commission (UGC), Bangladesh on Optimization of multiplex PCR/RT-PCR for rapid detection of respiratory infections in commercial poultry disease. (2012-2014) ( Co-PI)
International Conference and Award:
1. Best oral presentation award: The 2nd Joint Meeting of Veterinary Science in East Asia. April 25-27, 2019, Konkuk University, Korea.
2. XVIIIth ISACP Congress Tokyo, Japan 4-8 August 2018:INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR ANIMAL CLINICAL PATHOLOGY.
Poster and oral:
Pervin S, Islam MS, Yabuki A, Rahman, MM, Rakib TM, Tacharina MRR, Faruq AAL, Yamato O. Molecular epidemiology on canine neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis and GM1 gangliosidosis. Accepted in the 165th annual meeting of the Japanese Society of Veterinary Science. Tokyo, Japan. Will be held on September 8-11, 2022.
Rakib TM, Islam MS, Tanaka S, Yabuki A, Pervin S, Maki S, Faruq AAL, Tacharina M, Yamato O. Novel mutation in the feline GAA gene in a cat with glycogen storage disease type II (Pompe disease). Accepted in the 165th annual meeting of the Japanese Society of Veterinary Science. Tokyo, Japan. Held on September 8-11, 2022.
Maki S, Kamiohasako M, Islam MS, Yanuki A, Pervin S, Rakib TM, Faruq AAL, Yamato O. Molecular epidemiological study of genetic disorders in Border Collies: mutant allele frequencies of Rein's syndrome and Sensory Neuropathy in Japan. Accepted in the 165th annual meeting of the Japanese Society of Veterinary Science. Tokyo, Japan. Held on September 8-11, 2022.
Mitsui I, Inoue C, Uemura A, Islam MS, Yamato O. Lack of the reported gene mutations of congenital immunodeficiency in two juvenile dogs with fatal bacterial infections and systemic lymphoid depletion. Presented in the American College of Veterinary Pathologists (ACVP) and the American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology (ASVCP). The USA. Held on October 30-November 2, 2021.
Maki S, Islam MS, Ito T, Nurimoto M, Yabuki A, Yamato O. Mutant allele frequency study of various genetic diseases in the German Shepherd population in Japan. Presented at 164th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society of Veterinary Medicine. Tokyo, Japan. Held on 7-13th September 2021.
Islam MS, Shinya U, Takagi M, Yabuki A, Rahman MM, Tacharina MR, Rakib TM, Yamato O. Frequency of allelic mutation (c.235G>C) in the Isoleucyl-tRNA Synthetase (IARS) gene of Japanese Black cows, metabolic profile test result and reproductive performance of heterozygous carriers. Presented in the 2nd Joint Meeting of Veterinary Science in East Asia. Seoul, South Korea. Held on April 25-27, 2019. (Awarded for best oral presentation)
Islam MS, Tada N, Tsutsui T, Rahman MM, Tacharina MR, Kohama MS, Yabuki A, Yamato O. Rapid Genotyping assay for Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis in Chihuahua dogs reveals high frequency of the mutant Allele. Presented in the 18th Biennial Congress of the International Society for Animal Clinical Pathology. XVIII Congress, Tokyo, Japan. Held on August 4-8, 2018.
Kagoshima University, Japan